Monday, July 25, 2011

Inhale 1...2...3



Over the past 8 years I have been involved in martial arts, yoga and most importantly meditation. Martial arts and yoga, I embraced as a form of exercise rather than an art until I fell deeply in love with the art aspect of it.  I became obsessed with my Tae Kwon Do training perhaps hoping that it would fill a void I was feeling. I felt empowered, indestructible and alive. With the teachings of physical power came the fundamental teachings of meditation.

Meditation was something I did not embrace immediately- I just couldn't do it right. My mind would wander without delay, replaying all of the day's events. I would go over my unfinished to do lists and how I would tackle them the next day. I really wanted to give up but something kept telling me to keep at it. I would say that it took me about 6 months to notice that I could actually sit for 30 min. without a single thought in my head while breathing deeply.  I cannot express to you in an adequate way how much meditation has helped me but It Has!

To those of you who may think that Meditations is hokie or a religious practice- I can only say that it's neither but... I can say that there are extensive benefits of meditation and here I list but a few:

1.RELIEVES STRESS
2.INCREASES BLOOD FLOW
3. RELEASES ANXIETY
4.ENHANCES ENERGY
5.INCREASES SEROTONIN LEVELS (IMPROVES MOOD)
6.HELPS YOU FOCUS & CONCENTRATE
7.INCREASES EMOTIONAL STABILITY
8.BUILDS SELF CONFIDENCE.
9. SLOWS DOWN BRAIN AGING
10. INCREASES SELF ACTUALIZATION.

If you want to learn more about meditation you can contact or visit my great friends at So Shim Sa
Zen Center in Warren, NJ or check them out here.

2 comments:

  1. Aaaah yes Alexandra-san,
    meditation is but most beneficial to our own well being,
    and others...

    Nothing quite like the state of doing no-thing,
    as that is where the true center of focus lies....

    Be well my friend!

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. TRANSCEND DESIGN: YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!
    THANKS FOR STOPPING BY:)

    ReplyDelete