Wednesday, July 27, 2011

EXHALE 4...5...6



Today was an absolutely gorgeous day in NJ. It was a bright clear sky with the sun shining even brighter against it's blue back drop. BUT, It all came to a screeching halt in a matter of 300 seconds. That's it, that's all it took to ruin an other wise perfect day- 5 whole minutes for an irate person to scream at me over the most insignificant thing in the world- A Parking Spot!

I of course entered defense mode instantly and fired back. Although I was glad that I defended myself, that nasty feeling stayed with me for a long while. The idiot went along his day without a care in the world while I sat at my cubicle feeling like crap. The Fight or Flight instinct was so strong and it left me with a pit in my stomach and I couldn't shake it- not at least until I decided to make a conscious effort to release that negative energy (easier said than done).

I sat in my chair surrounded by all the office lights, phones ringing, and people talking, trying to keep still and quiet my mind. I took a deep breath holding it in for a bit and slowly releasing all the negative force that threatened to stay with me. I took another breath, slightly closing my eyes and imagining everything dark and quiet. Well it was a start at least- it would take me a few more "quick meditation" sessions today to let the ugly feelings go but eventually they did.

I really think that meditation is something I have to practice everyday- It seems that more and more I need to take "deep breaths" in order to deal with people these days. Is it me???

I would suggest to anyone that is thinking of meditation for beginners to look into a class or a group course under the guidance of an experienced teacher . I would also tell you to be patient with yourself- it's harder than it looks so don't get discouraged. Lastly, continuity is probably more important than anything else; 5-10 minutes everyday is better than a 1/2  an hour once a week. Before you know it, meditation will become as essential as that morning cup of coffee.



 BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
-Find a quiet place.
-Make sure you are not too tired, early morning is generally said to be the best time.
-Sit comfortably; most people like a cushion under their behind.
-The room is best not too warm or cold.
-Wear loose clothing.

YOUR BODY:
-Keep the back straight,whether you sit on your but or on a chair, this is very important.
-Try to be comfortable and physically relaxed, and avoid moving too much.
-Keep your head straight, slightly bent forward.
-Keep your eyes have open but if you prefer to close them that's fine for now.
-Try breathing through your belly; not breathing with the chest.

YOUR MIND:
- Be relaxed but at the same time awake and attentive: I Find this to be very hard!
- Be aware of your own mind and thoughts.

MEDITATION:
-Give yourself a set time for meditation and try to stick to it- whether it's 10 minutes or 1/2 hour.
-Be consistent

You may feel discomfort in the beginning especially in the legs but don't worry it does get better. If the discomfort in your legs is too much then choose another pose or slowly move your legs while still keeping in mind your breathing.

I hope meditation brings you as much peace and joy that it has brought me, especially for the quick sessions I need at my office, I mean cubicle.

Remember:
MEDITATION- IT'S BETTER THAN SITTING AROUND DOING NOTHING!


-

5 comments:

  1. How frustrating Alex, and it's so easy to respond to such instances with our initial reaction (which usually doesn't help the situation or ourselves afterwords, and hence the state of the planet...)

    This is where 'true meditation' really isn't just a prescribed time or place that we set for ourselves (though this is completely great and beneficial as well), but it is truly our focus throughout the day and keeping that true focus, which then is tested when situations arise...

    In the end, it's all how we react to any given situation which will then create an outcome whether good or bad...
    the real 'Great Work' as it's been called is all about morphing that initial reaction to something positive which will work for the benefit of all later...
    changing our initial 'animal instinct' to one of wisdom....

    I know it's easier said then done, but that's the whole point...

    we (ourselves) are our toughest battle of all....

    : )


    now pardon me,
    I have hats to create....

    : P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something I've been trying to practice lately.....
    Everything (task, job, leisure etc...) we do should be a meditation. This gives everything a higher purpose and brings us into the now. Learn to meditate in every action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps... cracking up at your "slogan": MEDITATION- IT'S BETTER THAN SITTING AROUND DOING NOTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by HEATHAHO, it's a work in progress, another name I was intending to use for my blog, seeing as we are all works in progress. I'm really enjoy this as another more substantial creative outlet for me. Let's see where it takes me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My therapist has recommended meditation, and I've recently started taking a yoga class. I never realized how hard BREATHING is, but I'm learning and practicing. And I'm totally going to post this somewhere in my cube!! MEDITATION- IT'S BETTER THAN SITTING AROUND DOING NOTHING!

    ReplyDelete